Former chief secretary Henry Tang Ying-yen said the public believes that the current investigation into his illegal basement is "retribution" stemming from the chief executive election although he personally does not think that is the case.
Speaking in an interview with Digital Broadcasting Corporation, a radio station headed by former legislator "Taipan" Albert Cheng King-hon, Tang said he is disappointed that the Independent Commission Against Corruption has become involved.
"This should involve the Buildings Department only. It has nothing to do with the ICAC," Tang told Cheng.
After losing to Leung Chun- ying in the chief executive election, Tang had discussions with Beijing officials, telling them he hoped there would be no backlash against him or his supporters.
But he said the public perceives it is already happening.
For instance, someone recently discovered an illegal structure in a 50-year-old factory owned by his wife's family.
"I hope my supporters won't have to face any vendetta. When the 285 people cast their votes for me, they were taking a risk in doing so," he said.
"Of course it was a secret ballot, and nobody knew who had voted for whom. But some of my supporters had been outspoken."
Tang said that the vendetta claims came from the public and not from him.
He made it clear that although he still wishes to serve the public, he will not be running in the Legislative Council election.
"There are different channels through which I can serve the public. I will have to make different decisions at different stages in life," he said.
While he has met Beijing officials after the March 25 election, they did not offer him a seat in the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference.
He also stood by the two accusations he made against Leung during the campaign - that the latter wanted to silence Commercial Radio and suggested tear gas and riot police be deployed against protesters - because he believes the public has the right to know who they are electing.